JOB TITLE: Complaints Team Leader
REPORTING TO: Head of Legal & Claims
SALARY: Dependent upon experience
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To lead and direct the Group’s customer complaints operations, processes and controls – developing a small team of Complaint Handlers, and engaging with stakeholders to ensure delivery of fair customer outcomes in adherence with regulatory guidelines and Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) expectations.
To design and embed an effective Root Cause Analysis (RCA) mechanism to enable continuous improvement, resulting in better outcomes for our customers – reflected in reduced complaint volumes and increased customer satisfaction.
To adopt a ‘hands on’ approach to the handling of complaints and lead by example through the ownership of a portfolio of customer complaint cases. Demonstrating to direct reports what effective complaint handling is, setting an acceptable standard of output and enabling the coaching of Complaint Handlers to that standard.
KEY TASKS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
People Leadership (25%)
1. Lead, coach and develop a small team of Complaint Handlers to define, deliver and maintain an exceptional level of competence within the team to deliver timely, cost effective and fair resolution of customer complaints in accordance with regulatory guidelines, FOS requirements and our agreed service levels;
2. Manage resource effectively to deliver consistently high levels of service to meet customer and business demands throughout the year;
3. Identify skills/knowledge gaps within the team, to drive the team’s learning agenda; and
4. Create a culture of continuous improvement, enabling Complaint Handlers to support the wider business in front line complaints identification, logging and as appropriate – resolution.
Stakeholder Management (15%)
1. Represent the Complaints Team in the wider business through engagement with key stakeholders at all levels;
2. Monitor and manage emerging customer and business risks through the prompt identification, escalation and resolution of gaps in policy and procedure;
3. Influence stakeholders from front line, through to executive leaders, making fact driven recommendations from the presentation of robust analysis of root causes and other management information;
Technical Management & Complaint Handling (60%)
1. Design and embed an effective RCA mechanism, working with stakeholders to drive down complaint volumes and increase customer satisfaction scores;
Complaints Team Leader
2. Own all escalated, high profile and complex complaints to final resolution;
3. Support the team during periods of peak demand, through the effective handling of customer complaints;
4. Ensure all team policies and procedures meet regulatory requirements; and
5. Reduce ‘waste’, as a result of re-work, by acting as part of the first line of defence in respect of quality assurance of the Complaint team’s activity.
The candidate will:
Essential: Be educated to degree level, or equivalent, preferably in an English based field of study.
Desirable: CII Level 4 Diploma & Regulated Complaint Handling Qualification
1. Strong operational and leadership experience of significant change in a regulated environment;
2. Comprehensive working knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements in relation to complaint resolution;
3. Experience in the analysis of data, identifying trends and root causes; and
4. A successful track record of complaint management.
Experience in a Lettings / Insurance business.
1. Attention to detail and an eye for accuracy is critical;
2. Excellent Verbal and Numerical reasoning skills. Adept at identifying the core issue and prioritising efforts in responding.
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to explain detailed complex issues in a simple manner; and
4. An ability to self-manage with strong organisational skills is also important.
1. Self-motivator with an ability to operate at a high standard to meet strict deadlines with demanding workloads;
2. Collaborative Working – Takes the lead to ensure everyone is ‘on the same page’, understands and harnesses their contribution;
3. Leading & Developing – Drives own development whilst developing team;
4. Thinking Customer – Puts the customer first;
5. Analysing & Initiating – Makes effective decisions on a risk based approach;
6. Adapting & Responding- Drives effective change;
7. Taking Ownership – Accepts accountability and responsibility as appropriate;
8. Creating & Innovating – Seeks and drives continuous improvement;
9. Strong organisational skills – with ability to prioritise effectively;
10. Problem Solving – with ability to make decisions effectively, balancing customer / regulation and commercial requirements.